Sunday, October 26, 2008

Week 8

I am very excited to get going on my EdWeb project. Some of the questions asked in the Analysis and Design Document will be very difficult to answer (e.g., what hardware and software do the learners have), others will be very easy (demographics, for example).

The textbook is finally starting to come to life as I try to apply the various ideas presented by the author. Unit 7 (maybe because it's the last unit I've read and I've managed to forget all of the previous readings) is particularly interesting. The topic of my EdWeb is academic referencing. The learners will be required to complete this online, learner-led course before starting their MBA program (completing, at least from my employer's perspective, is signing a contract which states that they are fully aware of what plagiarism is, and what the consequences are if they get caught copying material from others - learning objective #1 for me I guess). But, they will be coming into this with a wide range of experience with and knowledge of writing papers in English; for this reason, the Essential Learning Tutorial seems like a good starting point for designing this course.

I will eventually be expanding on this and adding an online course on how to conduct research. At first, I was only thinking about library research, but Elysabeth wrote about doing Internet research. This is a subject I know close to nothing about - but it certainly is more than pertinent. Such a topic I think could be organized around scenario-centered lessons, or around exploratory tutorials.

No comments: